Re: BinNMU for obby

Philipp Kern <pkern@debian.org> writes:

> Hi there,
>
> it seems that some A(P|B)I changes in the most recent gmp upload broke
> obby and causes its dependent applications to FTBFS (see RC bug
> #367862).
>
> A simple recompile of obby against the current gmp version in the
> archive fixed the compilation error for me, so please schedule a BinNMU
> of obby 0.3.0-3 across all arches.
>
> Kind regards,
> Philipp Kern

That is not the way to fix this.

If gmp has changed its API then the dev package has to change its
name. If the ABI changed then the soname must change.

The same then goes for obby if it reexports the API/ABI.

Have you checked that a recompiled obby will work with older gmp
packages? If that is not the case then you have no choice but to
properly fix this at the source level.

MfG
        Goswin