Re: T&S for Release Assistents

Heya,

Let's see what I've done.

Andreas Barth <aba@not.so.argh.org> writes:
> Marc 'HE' Brockschmidt
> 354093 [           ] libnss-ldap: getent segfault when reading large
>                      uid-/gidNumbers

This bug seems to be fixed in newer upstream releases. As there are
other RC bugs on the package (which should also be fixed by newer
upstream versions), I've asked the maintainer, Stephen Frost, what's up
with the package and if he's still willing and able to maintain it on
his own. This triggered some more activity from him, including
communication with upstream to remove a non-free file (RFC) from the
upstream tarball.

Stephen plans to package the new release when it comes out, which should
fix all four outstanding RC bugs. I guess this will happen in the next
few weeks, I'll follow up on this.

> 356394 [           ] mc-foo: exception on startup

This was already fixed as it turns out, but I asked the maintainer for a
comment. He said that the package needs some work anyway, but that he
has no time/interest in the moment, so it's OK to remove the package
From etch for now.

> 353134 [           ] libtest-builder-tester-perl: FTBFS with perl 5.8.8

This bug is actually not solved, but the package was removed from
testing and unstable already :) The module Test::Builder::Tester is now
included in libtest-simple-perl (and recent versions of perl-modules),
so it was enough to patch the two r-deps to depend on
libtest-simple-perl (fixing #358745 and #356829 on the way) before
removing the obsolete, rc-buggy libtest-builder-tester-perl package.

I didn't have much free time to do other stuff, but I filed some
bugs to track the xulrunner-transition and poked some of the
maintainers needing to do something via IRC. See
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?tag=xulrunner-transition;users=debian-release@lists.debian.org
for more infos on the bugs. I hope that these bugs, a bit of social
engineering and upstream work should make it possible to remove the
mozilla package from etch before we release (and replace it by seamonkey
instead for those who want to use a full mozilla suite). This should
also give xulrunner a good test environment, which will reduce the
number of problems that we need to expect when Firefox will start to use
it as basis.
The nice thing of xulrunner is that it finally replaces the mess that
the integration of the gecko engine was. The downside is that next year,
firefox, thunderbird, galeon, ... will all depend on xulrunner, which
still implements the weird mozilla library versioning scheme [1].

Marc

Footnotes:
[1]  mostly meaning "partial upgrades are someone else's problem"

--
BOFH #376:
Budget cuts forced us to sell all the power cords for the servers.