Re: libkpathsea3 removal: Please trigger bin-NMU recompilations of the following packages

On Wed, May 03, 2006 at 05:37:19PM +0200, Frank Küster wrote:
> Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:

> >> and concluded that the only problem would be that some buildds might
> >> have libkpathsea3's dev package already installed.

> > Oh, sorry; the fact that the libkpathsea3 source package still includes
> > libkpathsea-dev confused madison (and me) into thinking this was still the
> > old libkpathsea-dev.

> The libkpathsea-dev package from the libkpathsea3 source package *is*
> the old libkpathsea-dev

There is no such package.  This was what I misunderstood on the first pass,
because you said "libkpathsea4-dev now provides libkpathsea-dev" -- no, it
doesn't, there's no such package as libkpathsea4-dev, there's only the
libkpathsea4 version of libkpathsea-dev in both testing and unstable.

Instead, libkpathsea-dev Provides: libkpathsea4-dev, which is fine, but not
what you said.  And it does mean the package of the same name built from
libkpathsea3 is superseded and gone from the archive.

> >  (This is an RC bug on libkpathsea3, btw, since that
> > package can no longer be uploaded in its present state...)

> A RC which hopefully can be resolved soon by removing the package.  Do
> you think I need to file it?

No, I think you should go straight to filing for removal of libkpathsea3.

> >> Dropping completely would be a task for the ftpmaster, correct?

> > Yes, upon request of the package maintainer.

> Hm, but you agree that it is not necessary to remove the libkpathsea-dev
> binary package from sid (or sid and etch); we can instead wait until we
> can remove the complete libkpathsea3 stuff, right?

You should file for removal of libkpathsea3 immediately, AFAICT.