Re: The powerpc port should be removed from etch release candidates ...

On Thu, Apr 27, 2006 at 05:07:07PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 27, 2006 at 03:16:15PM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> > debian-cd changes I committed over the last hour or two. I hadn't been
> > paying attention to CD build logs; I'll know to do so in the future.
>
> Cool. Still, i feel that this is the kind of responsabilities the d-i team
> leader has to take over, and keep the oversight on the situation on all
> arches, not just his pet ones.

Frans did tell me about it a little while ago, actually; I'd had it in
my queue but not dealt with it yet.

> > (Until mkvmlinuz figures out how to deal with prep on >= 2.6.16, of
> > course, the powerpc CDs won't have prep support.)
>
> Its not a mkvmlinuz problem, the problem is in the kernel itself, and will
> probably be fixed for 2.6.17. I am watching this, and will try to do a
> backport if something promising comes on. Not sure i will have the time to fix
> it myself though.

Ah, OK; thanks for the information.

> > > Do you think that you will have the time and ressource to do a good job of
> > > powerpc maintainership on d-i in the future ?
> >
> > I should think so. My main problem of late has been an excess of broken
> > CD drives on machines I care about (explaining why I wasn't paying
> > attention to the CD builds), but I need to sort that out soon anyway.
>
> This kind of thing should be automated, i believe that back in the days, joeyh
> had a some tool to check for those, this could easily enough be used as a way
> to aler the right people of failures of this kind.

Watching http://people.debian.org/~joeyh/build-logs.html on a daily-ish
basis is easy enough now that it's occurred to me to check the CD build
logs section as well (d'oh).

> BTW, what is your position on the yaboot orphaning ? You sound like the more
> likely candidate to take that one over, altough i guess this means only one
> more thing to worry for your ?

I've certainly thought about it, and may well take it on over the next
few weeks if nobody else does.