Re: Removing mozilla from sid/etch?

Marc 'HE' Brockschmidt <he@ftwca.de> writes:

> Andreas Metzler <ametzler@downhill.at.eu.org> writes:
>> The recently released mozilla 1.7.13 is supposed to be the last
>> release of the mozilla suite.
> [...]
>> I do not think we want to ship something in etch that is not supported
>> today.
>
> ACK, I've also thought about this issue.
>
>> It cannot be done immediately, as a couple of packages[1] (openoffice[2],
>> ...) link against mozilla libraries (libnspr4, libnss3) but I think it
>> should be a release goal, shouldn't it?
>
> Yeah. As it looks, xulrunner is available to replace all the weirdness
> with linking to mozilla libs. I guess removing mozilla from etch could
> be done in time, if we start to look for its current rdepends and urge
> the maintainers to switch to the libs provided by xulrunner, which
> provide the same functionality (and, AFAICS, didn't break the
> interface).

OK, I've tried to look up which packages would be broken by removing
mozilla from testing. There are the locale packages (21) [1] and some
applications:

evolution -- The groupware suite
libedataserver1.2-4 -- Utility library for evolution data servers
libedataserver1.2-dev -- Utility library for evolution data servers (development files)
libexchange-storage1.2-dev -- Backend library for evolution calendars (development files)
kazehakase -- gecko based web browser using GTK
libcamel1.2-6 -- The Evolution MIME message handling library
gaim-encryption -- gaim plugin that provides transparent encryption
gtklookat -- VRML viewer for GTK+
libebook1.2-dev -- Client library for evolution address books (development files)
libgecko2.0-cil -- CLI binding for the GtkMozEmbed library, unstable version
libgecko-cil -- CLI binding for the GtkMozEmbed library
libgtk-mozembed-ruby1.8 -- ruby 1.8 binding of GtkMozEmbed, gecko renderer
libopenvrml5-dev -- developer libraries for openvrml
libswt3.1-gtk-java -- Fast and rich GUI toolkit for Java, gtk2 version
libxmlsec1-dev -- Development files for the XML security library
libxmlsec1-nss -- Nss engine for the XML security library
liferea-mozilla -- mozilla-based rendering library for Liferea
mozilla-cascades -- A stylesheet editor for Mozilla Composer
openoffice.org-core -- OpenOffice.org office suite architecture dependent files

Well, if we decide to actually remove mozilla, this really should be
doable.

Marc

Footnotes:
[1]  mozilla-locale-ca mozilla-locale-cs mozilla-locale-cy
     mozilla-locale-da mozilla-locale-de-at mozilla-locale-el
     mozilla-locale-es-es mozilla-locale-eu mozilla-locale-fr
     mozilla-locale-hu mozilla-locale-it mozilla-locale-ja
     mozilla-locale-ko mozilla-locale-lt mozilla-locale-no-nb
     mozilla-locale-pl mozilla-locale-ptbr mozilla-locale-sl
     mozilla-locale-tr mozilla-locale-zh-cn mozilla-locale-zh-tw
--
BOFH #158:
Defunct processes