Re: Status of the netcdf transition

On Tue, Mar 14, 2006 at 04:12:46PM +0100, Francesco Paolo Lovergine wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 14, 2006 at 10:21:59AM +0100, Rafael Laboissiere wrote:
> > The netcdf transition 3.5.0-7.1 -> 3.6.0+3.6.1-beta3-0.1 seems to be
> > blocking a lot of packages from entering testing.  Is someone taking care
> > of it?  Is there a status report available somewhere?

> RMs already hinted it. Unfortunately the new package missed a
> compatibility package (it changed name) so it breaks as many packages as it allows
> entering testing.

  * C++ ABI transition:
    - Rename netcdfg3 to libnetcdf3
    - Split out C++ library into it's own package libnetcdf++3 (closes: #346312).

It changes name *because it's not compatible*.  Providing a "compatibility"
package here would be an RC bug, because it would falsely claim to satisfy
dependencies that it does not.

> The (new) maintainer said it is preparing a new upload to reintroduce the
> missing package. The only other solutions is rebuilding all dependants
> which would be removed from testing...

Which is what you're *supposed* to do in a library transition.  And what has
been done; the only thing holding up netcdf now is for a few of the last
uploaded packages to age in unstable.

> That's AFAIK. We at DebianGis are all awaiting since a month or so :-/

I thought you had been waiting a month for the gdal soname change in
unstable...