Re: Antique RC bugs (many about licensing)

On Sun, Mar 12, 2006 at 06:40:42PM -0500, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
> I went through the RC bugs which apply to etch and are older than one year.
> This is a rather disturbing list, as you would expect from the age of the bugs.
> In most cases I don't think you can expect the maintainers to deal with these
> bugs on their own.
>
> What are the release managers planning to do about these?
(...)
> Package: imagemagick (optional; Ryuichi Arafune) [imagemagick/6:6.2.4.5-0.7 ; =] [add/edit comment]
> 214623 [           ] [NONFREE-DATA:UNMODFIABLE] Non-free logo included in source
>
> This appears to be a matter of the maintainer not paying attention, because
> the non-free logo has been removed from the binary.  NMU?

For sarge, the logo compiled into eg. the display utility has been
exchanged with a free replacement, but we still ship the original logo
as /usr/share/doc/imagemagick/images/ImageMagick.jpg, and of course also
in the .orig.tar.gz. There might be further copies that nobody has
caught so far.

For etch and sid, I've reverted this patch because it doesn't fix the
licensing problem and therefore just bloats the diff. Furthermore, one
might argue that the patch actually modifies the original logo, which is
exactly what the license intends to prevent.

I'd prefer somebody versed in trademark/branding issues to contact
upstream about this problem.

Regards,

Daniel.