Re: making udev require 2.6.15 kernels

On Mon, Feb 20, 2006 at 09:21:18AM -0500, Nathan Gray wrote:
> Well, here I am, the unknowledgeable user who is stuck with a
> half-configured system and no upgrade path.

> I have kernel 2.6.10, but some program I was upgrading required a
> newer udev than 056, or whatever I have now.

> But, udev 084 (I believe that is the version) won't install because I
> am not running a kernel 2.6.12 or higher, and kernel-image 2.6.15
> won't install because it requires a newer udev than I have.

> (Having packages.debian.org down doesn't help the situation, but that
> is a different matter.)

> In any case, I am unable to find any kernel images between 2.6.10 and
> 2.6.15 that I could try to install.  Nor could I find any udev
> packages between the version in stable (056?) and unstable (084?).

This is bug #349354.

> So, what can I do?

Because you're upgrading from a 2.6.10 kernel, you can install yaird, which
should satisfy the dependencies of the new 2.6.15 kernel package without
requiring udev to be upgraded first.

You can also force the upgrade of udev by touching /etc/udev/force-upgrade
and calling dpkg --configure -a.

This is not a discussion list.  If you have any other questions, please
follow up either to that bug report, or to debian-user.

Thanks,