Re: making udev require 2.6.15 kernels

This one time, at band camp, Steve Langasek said:
> On Sat, Feb 11, 2006 at 05:26:27PM +0000, Stephen Gran wrote:
> > This one time, at band camp, Marco d'Itri said:

> > > It's not clear which problem this would solve, exactly.
>
> > It could solve the 'I have overwritten the udev that worked with
> > this kernel with a udev that dies and leaves me unable to function'
> > problem.
>
> > It is not a perfect idea, and I don't particularly like it (for
> > aesthetic reasons if nothing else).  But if the best we can do is
> > run time checks to determine which kernel we are running on, then we
> > may need to support multiple udev versions.
>
> The difficulty is in allowing multiple such udev packages to coexist
> sensibly on the filesystem.

Trust me, I know - that's why I said I am not happy with this solution.
I am also not intimately familiar with the internals of udev to make
these sorts of decisions.  My understanding of the problem is that
version foo of udev works with kernel version >= a and <= b, while
version bar of udev works with kernel versions > b.  Making seperate
udev packages be coinstallable, and having the inappropriate one refuse
to start based on running kernel version was the first approach that
occured to me, but I do hope there are other ways to solve this.  Making
a single udev that could handle events generated by both kernel
generations would be nice, for instance.  I don't know how realistic
that idea is, though.

Either of these problems could probably be solved with something ugly
like putting the udev binaries in /lib/udev-$version and putting the
wrapper that selects the right version to run in /sbin, but again, it's
not perfectly pretty.

Take care,