Re: making udev require 2.6.15 kernels

On Sat, Feb 11, 2006 at 08:11:34AM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 10, 2006 at 04:20:02PM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > This means you're not guaranteed to get /usr/sbin/sshd, which many admins
> > use exclusively for system administration where remote kvm is not an
> > affordable option.  That's a pretty big problem.

> Maybe we need a sshd in /sbin then, since as i understand there is no real
> guarantee that /usr is mounted always in case of problems ?

No, we need to do a good job of *ensuring the system is safely rebootable
at all times*.  Why should we be satisfied with upgrades that have to come
with a big warning label, "system may not boot back up completely if you
leave your desk for coffee and the power goes out"?  I think we have every
right to expect more from Debian (and ourselves) than that.