Re: making udev require 2.6.15 kernels

This one time, at band camp, Marco d'Itri said:
> sgran@debian.org wrote:
>
> >In this case, does it make any sense to treat the two versions of udev
> >similarly to how we treat library transitions?  I.e., rename the new
> >udev to udev-$min-kernel-ver or something?  (the name is ugly, but
> >you
> It's not clear which problem this would solve, exactly.

It could solve the 'I have overwritten the udev that worked with this
kernel with a udev that dies and leaves me unable to function' problem.

It is not a perfect idea, and I don't particularly like it (for
aesthetic reasons if nothing else).  But if the best we can do is run
time checks to determine which kernel we are running on, then we may
need to support multiple udev versions.