Re: [parisc-linux] [Fwd: [patch/hppa] Floating point exception

On Mon, Jan 16, 2006 at 05:52:34PM -0500, John David Anglin wrote:
> > >   The
> > > only reason they would need rebuilt after a glibc bug fix would be if the
> > > glibc ABI changed in the process, and that would be Very Bad<tm>.
> >
> > Yeah, hopefully that doesn't happen.
>
> As I have previously mentioned, there is a pending ABI issue affecting
> the passing of complex and vector floating point numbers on the PA
> (floats in particular on the 32-bit port, and both floats and doubles
> on the 64-bit port).  It turns out we are using the wrong registers
> to pass these types.

sorry - I forgot about that.
Anyay, it's not a disaster.

> I'm considering fixing this in GCC 4.1 (patch under test this weekend).
> We already have an ABI change under HP-UX in GCC 4.1 (dwarf2 exception
> support).  I've also observered that there is an incompatibility in
> libgcc under linux between 4.0 and 4.1.  I don't know if this is an ABI
> change or not.  For these reasons, now is the time to fix these issue.
>
> If anybody feels strongly that the status quo should be maintained
> please let me know.  I'm going to bump the libgcc_s versions.

Debian "testing" (etch) is officially using gcc 4.0, right?
Does Debian promote binaries from "unstable" (using gcc 4.1) to "testing"?

If this ABI roll goes through, I can help track down debian packages that
need to be rebuilt if given an existing sample file to look at.

grant