Re: C++ transitions breaking libaspell

On Mon, Jan 02, 2006 at 08:03:24PM -0500, Brian Nelson wrote:
> Kurt Roeckx <kurt@roeckx.be> writes:

> > On Mon, Jan 02, 2006 at 04:36:15PM -0500, Brian Nelson wrote:
> >> Can someone please review http://bugs.debian.org/343060 and tell me what
> >> to do about it?  Several people are claiming libaspell needs to be
> >> rebuilt, and in that case it would need a package name change and yet
> >> another painful library transition.  Obviously I don't want to do this
> >> unless absolutely necessary.

> > Since this seems to be a C++ package that only exports a C
> > interface, a simple rebuild should do.  There is no need to
> > change the name.

> So partial upgrades wouldn't break, then?

Only in the special case of mixing unrelated libraries, implemented in C++,
that use different ABIs.  It seems scim is particularly good at exposing
this particular problem...  There's no good solution for this, as it would
mean compiling a list of all such libraries that are wrapped in a C
interface, and having each of the packages conflict with the old versions of
each of the others.