Re: libpng prognosis

On Sun, Oct 23, 2005 at 12:15:08AM -0700, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> Nathanael Nerode <neroden@twcny.rr.com> writes:

> > Mostly there's a long list of packages which need to go in ahead of
> > new libpng, which aren't ready.

> Are zero-day NMUs appropriate for any of these:

> > * penguin-command needs a new upload with fixed build-depends (bug 303705,
> >   which justifies removal of the version in testing if necessary)
> > * printbill likewise (bug 328333)
> > * tuxpuck likewise (bug 328335)
> > * xnecview likewise (bug 328334)

NMUs are warranted for any of them; please use the delayed queues when
uploading, pending resolution of our discussion on debian-devel of what an
appropriate NMU policy should look like for etch.

> > * libgtk-perl has to go in ahead of libpng (or be removed), but it depends
> >   on new perl and new imlib, and so on the whole gnome 1 tangle.  Meaning,
> >   GNOME 1 tangle in before lipng in.  ;-)

> The gnome-1 tangle is the png tangle.  But why does the new libpng
> fail with the old libgtk-perl?

libgtk-perl builds a package which depends on the old libpng, so libpng
can't be updated until libgtk-perl is updated first.