Re: Kaffe will need a force -- then gmp hint should start working

On Thu, Oct 06, 2005 at 09:58:08PM -0400, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
> (It is entirely unclear why GCJ is not being built on mips and mipsel in
> any case.  Thiemo blamed it on a bug in ld which he did not identify;
> there is no such bug reported upstream, and the only such bug I found in the
> debian reports appears to be unreproducible -- and in addition I see no signs
> that anyone has tried to reproduce it since October 2004.  I do not have a
> very high opinion of the current status of the mips porters based on this.)

It is related to GOT overflow.  You can find a patch in some previous
versions of the Debian binutils package which worked around the
problem, but I'm pretty sure it's gone now, and it was definitely
bogus.

The problem is well known upstream and no one's had the bullheaded
stubborness to tackle it in several years; it'll be a pain.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery, LLC