Re: clarifications on bjorn.haxx.se

On Tue, Oct 04, 2005 at 04:16:22PM +0200, Thomas Schmidt wrote:
> But which makes me wonder is why packages with such depends need to be
> hinted into testing manually - it used to work very well without
> manual hinting in the past - since when and why was this changed in
> the testing migration scripts? Did i miss some kind of announcement
> about this? It this supposed to be just temporally or not?

No, I don't know of any regressions in britney in this point.
I obviously can't say anything about past transitions (because
of lack of information) but the hint was necesarry because
you can't update vdr in testing without breaking all the plugins
(because of they conflict with the vdr in unstable) but you also
can't update the plugins on their own because they depend on the
vdr in unstable. AFAIK britney was never able to handle situations
like that. I guess during previous transition there was
always only one of these things true, but not both at the same time?

Gruesse,
--
Frank Lichtenheld <djpig@debian.org>
www: http://www.djpig.de/