Re: Release team for etch?

Am Samstag, 11. Juni 2005 07:43 schrieb Steve Langasek:

> I'm also not really convinced that a 12-month release cycle is actually a
> good idea at this point -- in terms of either setting believable
> expectations, or what users of stable actually want (clearly anyone who
> stuck with woody for three years and is now upgrading to sarge doesn't see
> quick release cycles as a sticking point), or having a reasonable
> development cycle that lets us advance etch to where we want it to be after
> sarge having been largely frozen for the past year.

I totally agree. Long release cycles with continued security support is a
major asset for many people using debian. Together with a security supported
testing distribution for the more fresh meat demanding desktop users we can
cover a very braod user base.

However there is one thing which is problematic about our long stable release
cycles: New hardware is often unsupported because our stable kernels are so
horribly outdated. I heard from many people who have several debian servers
running that this is the major drawback of stable. I would love to see kernel
updates for stable.

Regards,
Sebastian

--
PGP-Key: http://www.mmweg.rwth-aachen.de/~sebastian.ley/public.key
Fingerprint: A46A 753F AEDC 2C01 BE6E  F6DB 97E0 3309 9FD6 E3E6