Re: Release team for etch?

On Sat, Jun 11, 2005 at 11:46:12AM +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> giuseppe@eppesuigoccas.homedns.org wrote:
>
> >There are a lot of new large packages that needs a *lot* of testing
> >before being releaseable. I think a one year release is really
> >impossibile, while a two years release seems reasonable to me.
> So Ubuntu does not actually exist?

For what it's worth: 18 months seems about right to me if it can be done
- but a two year release _actually released_ at two year point would be
  fine as well.

Ubuntu exists - but it is meant as a desktop distribution - with a
strictly limited set of packages on limited architectures and updated on
a fixed schedule. That's different from "big Debian" which can support
everything from amateur radio to genome sequencing to complex maths
- and in 15 or 20 languages.

Debian "needs" Ubuntu to show people that Debian based distributions
and Free Software work. It may be that people start with Ubuntu and
then "cross-grade" (not necessarily up- or down- :) ) to Debian proper.

It would be nice, for example, for Sarge to have full scale commercial
support and a network of consultants who can push Debian to governments
and big business rather than Debian being seen as geeks/hobbyists. That
isn't going to happen wholeheartedly - but Canonical are making industry
partnerships to support Ubuntu and some of those partners may in turn
be prepared to support Sarge.

It isn't - and shouldn't be - an "us and them" - Ubuntu needs Debian:
Debian needs Ubuntu (and Progeny, Libranet, Xandros, Mepis ...) [though it is
my private thought that there's maybe only room for one big player in
the "commercial Debian on the desktop market" and that one or more of
the smaller distributions may fold at some time].

Andy