Re: Mono testing migration

On Tue, Feb 15, 2005 at 11:02:52AM +0100, Filip Van Raemdonck wrote:
> [Resent because I originally sent to d-r@bugs.d.o instead of the list.
>  Does that bugs address actually go somewhere? I did not get any error
>  message.]

> Looking at packages.qa pages for mono, mcs and libgdiplus, it seems that
> these three packages are holding each other out of testing due to circular
> dependencies.

> In the mix are two issues, one being that mono is supposedly out of date
> but the fact actually is that all of what is listed as outdated on p.q.d.o
> is not built (anymore) for the architecture on which it is supposedly
> outdated; and the second problem being a RC bug (two actually, merged
> ones) on libgdiplus for keeping it from migrating prematurely.

> So, in fact it seems that mono now _is_ ready to migrate, it just needs
> some prodding with the RC bug and by removing obsolete binary packages for
> some architectures.

Mono is *not* ready to migrate.  Someone will have to provide some
justification to the ftp-masters to explain why the mono-mint package is
still built on s390 when it's been dropped on all other architectures (and
with it, support for all architectures except for i386 and powerpc).

I don't see any sane reason for doing this, so I can't argue the case to
the ftp-masters on the maintainers' behalf.  Frankly, if mono-mint is useful
at all, I don't see any reason not to ship it for the "unsupported" archs;
and if it's not useful on those archs, I don't see any reason to ship it on
s390 as a "fallback", either.  Either of these choices would have made it
trivial to get mono into sarge.  The maintainers instead chose the
non-trivial (even pathological) approach, and have AFAICT not provided much
support to the ftp-masters for resolving this situation.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer