More structureal Octave path problem [Was: Problem with octave-plplot]

On  3-Jan-2005, Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd@debian.org> wrote:

| I think Steve's idea of using an Octave API counter may be better.
|
| John:  Would it be possible to replace
|
|        /usr/lib/octave/$VERSION/
|
| with
|
|        /usr/lib/octave/$APICOUNTER/
|
| in the hope that rapid-succession uploads could have a chance of not
| requiring an increment to $APICOUNTER -- yet allowing you to increase the
| counter whenever "something significant enough" changes?

Sorry for the delay.

I have no idea what should be done for package dependency problems.

Unless something has changed that I'm not aware of, there is no
complete solution for the problem of binary compatibility with
packages because you may also be restricted to a particular range of
compiler versions as well.  So if someone installs a copy of Octave,
they might not be able to build dynamically loadable modules for
Octave after upgrading their g++ installation.

However, if using the api counter instead of version would help solve
some problems, we can make that change in Octave.

The reason we used the version in the past was that we started with
that and it predates the api counter.

jwe