Re: gcc-3.4 emits large amounts of test failures

Matthew Palmer <mpalmer@debian.org> writes:

>> So what do you propose to do? Fail the build if there are test failures? That
>
> Well, there's a reason that test suites exist, you know.  If your
> tests are failing spuriously, then it's time to fix the tests, not
> ignore them.

I'm sure the gcc developers, both Debian and upstream, are keen to see
your patches to fix all the testsuite failures on our 11+
architectures.

>> would pretty much ensure that the package never, ever builds. And
>
> Well, if it's always broken, we don't really want it, do we?

If 'failing tests == broken' then we wouldn't have a working compiler
for any architecture and/or for any release.  I think there's a small
flaw in your logic.

--
James