Re: gcc-3.4 emits large amounts of test failures

On Mon, Jan 03, 2005 at 11:09:09AM +0100, Falk Hueffner wrote:
> Bastian Blank <waldi@debian.org> schrieb am 03.01.05 10:57:34:
>
> > I just read a buildlog for gcc-3.4 and saw large amount of test failures
> > but the build themself is marked as successfull. I don't think this is
> > the proper use of a testsuite and have to asume that nothing in the
> > package may work.
>
> So what do you propose to do? Fail the build if there are test failures? That

Well, there's a reason that test suites exist, you know.  If your tests are
failing spuriously, then it's time to fix the tests, not ignore them.

> would pretty much ensure that the package never, ever builds. And the

Well, if it's always broken, we don't really want it, do we?

> bootstrapping already makes sure that the compiler isn't totally broken.

"Not totally broken" might be a suitable marketing strategy for Microsoft,
but I'm not convinced it's a level we want to be particularly aiming for.

- Matt