Re: eek!

On Tue, Sep 13, 2005 at 10:54:56AM +0200, Loïc Minier wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 13, 2005, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> > When I try, for example, capplets-data, it apt-get wants to remove
> > capplets.  Why?:
> > capplets: Depends: capplets-data (= 1:2.8.2-3) but 1:2.10.1-6 is to be installed

>  On this particular issue, I think this is because this is superseded by
>  gnome-control-center: capplets isn't needed anymore, and should be
>  removed.  Updating the relevant gnome meta-package should pull the
>  correct deps and let the older one be removed.  gnome-control-center
>  provides, conflicts and replaces capplets.  gnome-core depends on
>  gnome-control-center.

>  Maybe you can look into this a bit more with aptitude and check what
>  deps of the gnome meta-packages that you miss aren't in testing, and
>  whether this is really ppc specific.

It isn't; this is due to forcing the GNOME 2.10 transition even though
sound-juicer is not yet updated in testing (it's tightly intertwined
with the C++ transition, and KDE in particular).  I've asked Jordi
Mallach to upload a meta-gnome2 package with a relaxed dependency on
sound-juicer so that the GNOME metapackages can be installable in the
meantime; the alternative would have been for GNOME 2.10 to be held out
of testing for several more weeks until KDE was ready to transition,
which would mean a forklift update of testing and growing frustration
from maintainers being asked not to update their packages.