[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Re: Bug#325484: udev >= 0.060-1 and kernels >= 2.6.12

On Tue, Aug 30, 2005 at 04:59:48PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > Becuase I roll my own kernel.  If I upgrade the kernel with gcc-3.3
> > (currently the Sarge default) and then upgrade to Etch (which will have
> > gcc-4.0 for a default) I will run into problems if I decide to add new
> > modules to my kernel.  Thus, those with a self-compiled kernel are in a
> > situation where you can a) dist-upgrade without first upgrading the
> > kernel and risk breakage; or b) upgrade the kernel twice.  Once before
> > and once after.  I suppose that it is possible to build the new kernel
> > inside of a chroot (or sbuild or pbuilder) if kernel-package is being
> > used.
> > I am simply pointing out that there is a potential issue that needs to
> > at least be addressed in the release notes.
> Ah, yes.  I really don't understand why the kernel embeds the gcc
> version into its version-matching logic, but I've run into this problem
> as well.  I agree that it warrants documenting, though I also suspect
> that most users running self-compiled 2.6 kernels are going to be
> running something a bit newer than 2.6.8 anyway.
I also don't understand why the gcc version is an issue.  I mean, you
can compile a library with one version of gcc and link to it when
compiling a program with a different version of gcc.  We are even
talking about C, which AFAICT doesn't suffer the same binary
compatibility issues as C++.

As far as running newer self-compiled kernels, that certainly is not
the case for me.  In fact, I only compile my own kernel becuase I
require the mppe patch on my machines.  If not for that, I would be
running a stock kernel because I have been bitten in the past by staying
on the bleeding edge.  I know that I am only one data point, but I am
sure that I am not the only one.

> Option a) doesn't seem particularly sensible to me, btw, because the
> "risk" is near certain...
Incidentally, is it possible to put udev on hold, upgrade everything
else, install a new kernel and then select udev for upgrade?


Roberto C. Sanchez

Attachment: pgp_cK14RPslF.pgp
Description: PGP signature

Reply to: