Re: GNUstep and FHS

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 22:23:10 +0200, Eric Heintzmann <eric@gnustep.fr.st> said:

> I co-maintain the GNUstep Core packages for more than 2 years, and I
> spend a lot of time to find a solution to these problems by moving
> files accordingly to FHS, and by symlinking some directories.  After
> several tests, I have to admit that I am not able to make GNUstep FHS
> compliant without breaking it.  And I don't think that is possible,
> except if upstream developers change their mind.

Have you been successful it making it more FHS compliant?  (e.g. moving
Library/Headers to /usr/include, moving Library/Preferences,
Library/Images, etc. to /usr/share, etc.) Is there anything in
particular that caused problems?

>From what I can tell, it's not possible to make GNUstep completely FHS
compliant without a lot of upstream help.  But it looks like we should
be able to make it more compliant than it currently is.

> Since there is no other maintainer to try to make these packages FHS
> compliant, should GNUstep be removed from Debian ?

I would be interested in helping at some point.  But not until at least
the middle of next month.

--
Hubert Chan <hubert@uhoreg.ca> - http://www.uhoreg.ca/
PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/124B61FA