Re: mass bug filing for libjack dependant packages

* Robert Jordens [Mon, 27 Jun 2005 16:10:42 +0200]:

  Hi Robert, there a few things I'd like to comment about the handling
  of this transition. It is my intention to be constructive.

> The following source packages have been built against libjack0.80.0-dev

  At the end of this mail there is the same list processed with Lars
  Wirzenius' dd-list script [1] (which we will hopefully see some day
  integrated into devscripts). I think it's good to provide lists of
  packages in this format, since it's much more suitable for human
  consumption and people can easily find their packages; looking at the
  mail you sent to @packages.debian.org addresses [2], it's really
  difficult to find one's own packages...

    [1] http://liw.iki.fi/liw/download/dd-list
    [2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-qt-kde/2005/06/msg00297.html

  In this list, there are two separate sets of packages: those
  build-depending on libjack0.80.0-dev or libjack-dev (e.g., arts and
  ams, respectively), and those who get an indirect binary dependency on
  libjack0.80.0-0 via some other package (e.g., xmms-jackasyn via
  libjackasyn-dev). It is normally a good idea to file these bugs / send
  these mails in two stages, in order to have all the build-dependencies
  fixed first, and then go for the binary dependencies.

  About the list itself, gst-plugins is no longer in the archive, and my
  apt sources know nothing about bio2jack. But there are some missing
  packages as well: wine (build-depends on libjack0.80.0-dev,
  libwine-jack depends on libjack0.80.0-0), soundtracker, and swami.
  These two build-depend on libjack0.80.0-dev but their binary packages
  don't depend on libjack0.80.0-0 -- there may be a bug there, or the
  build-dependency is obsolete. In either case, they should be notified,
  since they'll FTBFS automatically when libjack0.80.0-dev gets removed
  from the archive.

  Also, and though we maintainers are supposed to do the right thing,
  experience shows this is not always the case, so it's really best to
  have library maintainers provide detailed explanations as of how to
  proceed. From your mail [2], maintainers build-depending on
  libjack0.80.0-0 will know that they have to change such B-D to
  libjack0.100.0-dev, but there are not crystal clear instructions for
  those build-depending on libjack-dev (honest!): though anybody reading
  the mail would say, "s/libjack-dev/libjack0.100.0-dev/ in
  debian/control", I'd bet money that some maintainer will upload with
  debian/control unchanged "because libjack-dev is now provided by
  libjack0.100.0-dev and buildds will install it". And then get the
  package compiled against different -dev packages depending on the
  architecture (more on architectures later). And as per the two stages
  mentioned above, packages not directly build-depending on libjack*-dev
  should get special handling as well, such as asking for rebuilds only
  when build-depencencies are fixed in _all_ architectures, or providing
  info about what versioned build-dependencies to use.

  Ah, architectures... I think it's been a really bad idea to start this
  transition without waiting for the package to have built successfully
  in all our arches. At the time being, ia64 and s390 have already
  failed to build jack-audio-connection-kit 0.100.0-2 (not the fault of
  your package, though), which means that each upload of depending
  packages will fail on those arches and buildd admins have to requeue
  by hand.

  And finally, this is IMHO a sufficiently big transition that
  debian-release should have been contacted in advance, for guidance and
  advice too. Perhaps the answer would have been "Sure, go ahead right
  now", but it could also have been "We're sorting out the bits for the
  C++ transition, let's hold this a few weeks, ok? Sorry for the
  inconvenience." Or even (this is not your case, and I'm only
  mentioning as a worst-case scenario): "Dude, you just f*cked up our
  timeline for the C++ transition".

                                 * * *

LIST OF PACKAGES

Guenter Geiger (Debian/GNU) <geiger@debian.org>
    hydrogen
    jack-rack
    ladcca
    libjackasyn
    meterbridge
    puredata
    qjackctl
    rezound
    seq24
    snd
    sooperlooper
    stk
    swami

Enrique Robledo Arnuncio <era@debian.org>
    freqtweak
    rosegarden4
    tapiir

Paul Brossier <piem@altern.org>
    supercollider
    xmms-jackasyn

Eric Van Buggenhaut <ericvb@debian.org>
    fluidsynth

Ben Burton <bab@debian.org>
    kdeaddons
    koffice

Chris Butler <chrisb@debian.org>
    spiralsynthmodular

Hubert Chan <hubert@uhoreg.ca>
    alsaplayer

Debian Qt/KDE Maintainers <debian-qt-kde@lists.debian.org>
    arts
    kdeartwork
    kdebase
    kdelibs
    kdemultimedia
    kdenetwork

Free Ekanayaka <free@agnula.org>
    ams
    brutefir
    creox
    horgand
    jackeq

Free Ekanayaka <free@centrotemporeale.it>
    amsynth

Mike Furr <mfurr@debian.org>
    terminatorx
    xmms-jack

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org>
    timidity

Robert Jordens <jordens@debian.org>
    ardour
    bitscope
    jack-audio-connection-kit
    jack-tools
    jamin
    timemachine

Jean-Michel Kelbert <kelbert@debian.org>
    k3b

Daniel Kobras <kobras@debian.org>
    muse

Joshua Kwan <joshk@triplehelix.org>
    thinksynth

Wesley J. Landaker <wjl@icecavern.net>
    cheesetracker

David I. Lehn <dlehn@debian.org>
    gst-plugins0.8

Eduardo Marcel Macan <macan@debian.org>
    specimen
    zynaddsubfx

Debian ALSA Maintainers <pkg-alsa-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org>
    alsa-lib
    alsa-plugins

Samuel Mimram <smimram@debian.org>
    linphone

Tommaso Moroni <moronito@debian.org>
    knights

Sam Hocevar (Debian packages) <sam+deb@zoy.org>
    allegro4.1

Nick Rusnov <nickrusnov@debian.org>
    galan

Jose Luis Tallon <jltallon@adv-solutions.net>
    basket

Junichi Uekawa <dancer@debian.org>
    ecamegapedal
    ecasound
    ecasound2.2
    ecawave
    soundtracker

Ove Kaaven <ovek@arcticnet.no>
    wine

                                 * * *

--
Adeodato Simó
    EM: asp16 [ykwim] alu.ua.es | PK: DA6AE621

Let us not be ashamed to speak what we shame not to think.
                -- Michel de Montaigne