Re: release policy text changes

On Sun, Jun 19, 2005 at 05:15:39PM +0200, Andreas Barth wrote:
> 1. DFSG-freeness

>         Code {+and Documentation+} in main and contrib must meet the DFSG,
>         both in .debs and in the source (including the .orig.tar.gz).

Clearer to say "all content" instead.

> 4. Autobuilding
>
>         [...]

>         debian/rules must include the targets: clean, binary, binary-arch,
>         binary-indep and build; and these targets cannot require any
>         interaction with the user. The build target must not do anything that
>         requires root privileges. {+None of these targets may change the
>         packages build-dependencies or the changelog.+}

"These targets must not change the package's build-dependencies or the
changelog"?  (apostrophe definitely needs to be added, at least)

> 5. General
>
>   [...]
>
>   (l) Mail
>
>         [...]
>
>         MTAs must provide /usr/sbin/sendmail, and a symlink to that
>         program as /usr/lib/sendmail. {+/usr/sbin/sendmail must provide
>         the -bs switch, unless the package conflicts with LSB.+}

The /usr/sbin/sendmail command must implement all command-line options
specified by the LSB with the exception of the -bs switch.  MTAs which do
not provide the -bs switch must Conflict: with the lsb package.

>   [...]
>
>   (p) Linux Standard Base
>
>         Packages must not conflict with requirements of the LSB,
>         v1.3. (eg, if you provide a library specified in the LSB, you
>         must be compatible with the LSB specification of that library)
>
>         Basically, you should be LSB compatible. You can expect a bug
>         report to be filed if you're not, and if you don't know how to
>         fix the problem, you should email debian-lsb@lists.debian.org
>         for assistance.
>
>         {+[Expect that the LSB Version will be bumped to 3 during etch
>         development.]+}

Perhaps we should be making this decision so that this isn't left as a
footnote.  Maintainers need to know which version they're targetting, since
they're not compatible.  For one thing, AIUI we're not going to be able to
provide a libstdc++ library for any LSB version other than LSB3 without some
additional work.

>   (q) Python
>
>         Packages providing python modules must comply with the python
>         policy (naming scheme and dependencies). See
>         http://people.debian.org/~joss/python/python-policy-draft.txt
>
>         {+[Expect that the python policy and implementation will change
>         during the etch development cycle]+}

Again, I'm not sure why we want to write that in the rc checklist.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer