Re: release policy changes

Andreas Barth writes:
> One addition I would like very much to see is:
>  A library that is included in a package in Debian must be linked to
>  dynamically; for static-only executables like sash also static linking
>  to that other library package is accepted. Importing and using the
>  source code of any library into another package is not permited.
>
> Rationale:
> Some libraries are provided multiple in Debian, IIRC e.g. libz. That is
> bad from general QA (as usually this is just an old version, and normale
> bug fixes don't go in), and especially bad if there is a security update
> necessary.

one more thing: C++ dependencies are currently "hidden" within
build-essential.  Currently you cannot see this dependency from the
outside, if the code is not dynamically linked to libstdc++ (or
doesn't use libstdc++ at all).  I'm proposing to require a build
dependency on a virtual package `c++abi2-dev', which will be provided
by g++-3.4/g++-4.0, which let's you specify this dependency
explicitely, at least for C++ sources, where binaries built from these
sources do not depend on libstdc++.

> Python: I'm not happy with the current python policy at all, because
> that gives us too much forward-conflicts. However, I think best is to
> speak with Matthias Klose on debconf, and see if there is some progress
> possible.

yes, there is already progress. but let's finish some other
transitions first ;-)

	Matthias