Re: Layout for sarge release

Steve McIntyre wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 02, 2005 at 12:45:53AM +0100, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> >Just had a last-minute discussion with Joey Hess. To confirm layout,
> >we will have paths like:
> >
> >http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/3.1r0/alpha/iso-cd/sarge-alpha-netinst.iso
> >
> >for the release ISO images. He's updating the website now, so this is
> >kind of set in stone for the release... :-)
>
> Crap. Maswan just pointed out that I got this wrong - the path is OK,
> but the filenames should be in the form of

Except at some point the path became not-ok (s/3.1r0/3.1_r0/), and
although the filename got fixed, that didn't and many other urls were
broken until just after slashdot linked to the sarge release.

I think that this points to a minor flaw in our release process. We need
a way of fully testing the website and CD archive, as it will appear at
release, to make sure that all the links to images work. We have a test
build of the website that can be used to demo how things will look after
a release (http://higgs.djpig.de/debian-www/), but the isos on
cdimage.d.o are not there until the release so the urls cannot really be
checked.

One way would be to do it would be to add some dummy images, in a
directory that makes clear they are not really a debian release, like
/.staging/, and set things up so this directory is only added to
the urls on the demo website. In fact, we had something like this a few
days before sarge release, and could have used it.

Another way might be to redo the urls a bit, so they look like this:
http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/etch/current/alpha/iso-cd/etch-alpha-netinst.iso
Then make the "current" images be from the last d-i release candidate
release, until etch is released, then replace them with the final CD
builds. So the links on the demo website would all work all the time,
just not point to the final images yet.

It would also help to finalise the file/dirnames for the release sooner than
a week before the release, and to use the same directory structure and
filenames for d-i RC releases.

We've so far done better at getting unbroken links for d-i release
candidates than the actual release, and even though the method used for
d-i won't work, since the final official release cannot be a blessed
daily build of a CD (can it?), I hope we can improve things when we do
the next release.

Sorry if this mail comes at a bad time and nobody else wants to think
about releasing etch yet. :-)

--
see shy jo