Re: A Prisonner of the dependency hell

On Fri, May 27, 2005 at 04:49:14PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> I don't suppose there's a smaller test case involving fewer packages?
>
> I know KDE upgrade tests had been done at one point.  Maybe someone on the
> KDE team can shed light on this problem?

At one point a kdelibs3-bin package was introduced which makes things
slightly better. In many situations aptitude from woody should be able
to the right thing (Probably no chance with apt-get from woody I guess)
The KDE dependencies are so complex though that even a minor change
in the list of installed packages can confuse aptitude again IME...

Going in interactive mode it is usually possible to avoid the biggest
nuisances (not necessarily for an avarage user, though)

I don't if there is any solution for that but I pretty much doubt it...

Gruesse,
--
Frank Lichtenheld <djpig@debian.org>
www: http://www.djpig.de/