Please look at bug #279965

I've been persuaded that this is an RC bug in logrotate (it changes
behaviour from what woody did and can potentially cause data loss to
happen if a script doesn't run).

I've bumped its severity to "grave". There are three possible fixes:

* Documentation of the problem. (Least preferred option)

* The patch submitted by Philipp Hartmann. (The smallest change.)

* The "upstream" patch from CVS. (Preferred, as it doesn't use a
  temporary file at all, but there may be limits to what can be passed
  in an argv[] string.)

All the potential patches are in the BTS.

Your advice, please.

--
Paul Martin <pm@debian.org>