Re: Should multi-gnome-terminal go away?

Hi Roberto,

On Fri, May 20, 2005 at 03:11:31AM -0400, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> I have been checking out the RFA'd and O'd package lists.
> I saw that multi-gnome-terminal [0] is on the RFA list.  I
> am wondering if it would not be better to simply remove it
> from Debian.  Here is why I think it should go:

> * depends on obsolete GNOME 1.4 and GTK+ 1.2 libs
> * functionally superseded by gnome-terminal GNOME 2+
> * Has outstanding bugs that 3+ years old

> [0] http://bugs.debian.org/multi-gnome-terminal

None of this is, by itself, a reason to drop the package from a release.
There are many other packages still in sarge that must depend on the GNOME
1.4 libs, so it doesn't help us to worry (at this point) about trying to get
rid of them; many other packages that are widely used also have bugs open
for a long time; and a request for adoption is not the same thing as
orphaning.

If the maintainer agrees that this package should not be included with
sarge, then it is of course reasonable to drop it (preferably with a
transition package providing an upgrade path to gnome-terminal, if that's
the appropriate replacement).

Thanks,
--
Steve Langasek