Re: update for kernel-patch-grsecurity2

Hi Vorlon,

On Sat, 2005-05-14 at 15:59 -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > The update would be for the new (security related) kernel versions, as
> > upstream updated the grsecurity2 patch for that, no other changes done.
> > Would it be accepted for Sarge?
>
> What new kernel versions are you referring to?
 The package contains the patch for 2.6.11.7, but the main kernel
version is increased because of recent security problem fix
(CAN-2005-1263) to 2.6.11.9 (2.6.11.8 also fixed a reproducible SMP
crash, incorrect sysfs permissions and a bttv hang). Thus grsecurity2
upstream updated the patch to apply against 2.6.11.9.

> If the only reason for this update is for compatibility with 2.6.11.9, then
> such an update would not be accepted.  We aren't shipping any 2.6.11.x
> kernels with sarge.
 Yes, I know that Sarge won't contain any 2.6.11.x kernels; but users
can download it, and roll their own kernel as the Sarge default 2.6.8 is
getting old and overloaded with all the fixes, security backported.
I thought that grsecurity2 contains a patch for an old kernel version,
which has a known security hole by now; thus we should support users and
update the patch for the most security fixed kernel version as it is
just a security related update and not new upstream release. But I will
accept your final words here.

Regards,
Laszlo/GCS