Re: packages not built on sparc due to fixed sparc kernel bug

On Wed, May 04, 2005 at 01:30:13AM -0700, Blars Blarson wrote:
> At least four packages (illuminator, fet, scalapack, kmd) are failing
> to build on sparc due to a kernel bug that is fixed in the current
> sarge versions.  (bugs 136130, 268450, 287287, 307428) Scalapack got
> the sparc binary removed to allow it into woody.

> Since vore, the sparc buildd, is still running an older kernel, they
> fail to build on it.

> None of this is an RC issue, since three of the packes don't have
> sparc binaries on sarge, and illuminator only developed the
> problem recently.

> Should these packages be kept out of sarge on sparc, or should
> the binaries be built elsewhere?  If the latter, where should the
> binaries be uploaded to?  Does TPU accept binary-only uploads?

I don't see any reason to go out of the way to get them built.  Do you?

If we're certain this is a kernel problem, then we should be able to count
on the buildds running newer kernels once sarge is released, making security
support possible; it just doesn't seem like anyone's missed these packages
too terribly much if this is the first anyone's figured it out?

At least illuminator definitely doesn't need to be built, since it doesn't
matter for release now that the freeze is in effect.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer