Re: C++ ABI transition for etch

Le Mardi 26 Avril 2005 11:18, Matthias Klose a écrit :
> the reason I wanted to void package renaming for kde is that most KDE
> packages ship with shared libs and binaries in the same package (at
> least these have an shlibs file). That should be fixed, but maybe not
> as part of the C++ transition.

I'm not sure that should be "fixed"

most of those libs are in fact :
 * plugins or alike and live in /usr/lib/kde3 and not in plain /usr/lib
 * private shared libs like /usr/lib/libkmailprivate.so
But no other applications depends upon them (they make a whole
homogenous thing with the apps that is shipped with them)

the fact that those libs are not in a -lib package is not a "bug" or
something that has to be fixed. If you split KDE pacakges in
lib/non-lib packages, the 200 or 300 kde packages will become 5-600 and
this would be a real madness.

The thing is, every single kde package depends from
  libqt3-mt, kdelibs or libkonq4 (and a couple of such pure libs
  packages).
And I believe it's also sensible to rename only those, and to forget
about the libs in non-pure-libs packages.

--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit
··O