Re: C++ ABI transition for etch

On Tue, Apr 26, 2005 at 09:15:09AM +0200, Matthias Klose wrote:
> A proposal for a simplification, which reduces/avoids the renaming of
> the KDE packages. All KDE packages depend directly or indirectly on
> libqt3, so it is enough to rename the packages libqt3c102 to libqt3
> and libqt3c102-mt to libqt3-mt and add a conflict with th old name.
> This way, you cannot install qt3 dependent packages which are built
> with different compiler versions. This avoids renaming about 100 out
> of 400 packages containing libraries.

Ok, I'm now able to formulate the rationale for the question I had earlier
about this.  Are we sure that all of these KDE apps *need* to depend on
libqt3c102-mt, or do they just do so because of classic libtool/pkg-config
bugs?  If any one of these KDE apps is linked against libqt3c102-mt solely
due to historical breakage, we have this scenario:

Random KDE app, "kohlrabi", gets built with fixed libtool prior to
  transition, loses the Qt dep but retains the kdelibs4 dep

libqt3c102-mt goes through ABI transition, is renamed libqt3, conflicts with
  old libqt3c102-mt package

kdelibs4 is rebuilt against libqt3 and the new ABI, becomes installable
  again

kohlrabi, which depends on kdelibs4, remains installable but is broken

And as it turns out, for a current example of "kohlrabi", see kdoomsday or
amarok...

I don't know how deep the library dependency chain is on KDE, but it's
entirely possible that this problem applies all the way up.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer