Re: woody->sarge upgrade removes perl (and a bunch of other stuff)

On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 04:09:08PM +0200, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> I just looked at upgrading a server from woody to sarge and the result
> was, well, interesting. The output from "apt-get -o
> Debug::pkgProblemResolver=true dist-upgrade" starts off with:
>
> Investigating perl
> Package perl has broken dep on libterm-readline-perl-perl
>   Considering libterm-readline-perl-perl 0 as a solution to perl 102
>   Removing perl rather than change libterm-readline-perl-perl

Some first notes:
- I can easily reproduce this in a woody chroot by installing the
  following packages: apache apache-common console-tools-libs cricket
  defoma gs gs-common gsfonts libapache-mod-auth-pam libapache-mod-ssl
  libchart-perl libdbd-mysql-perl libdbi-perl libdigest-md5-perl
  libgd-perl libhtml-format-perl libhtml-parser-perl libhtml-tagset-perl
  libhtml-tree-perl libmailtools-perl libmd5-perl libmime-base64-perl
  libnet-perl libnet-ph-perl libnet-snmp-perl libnet-snpp-perl
  libnet-telnet-perl librrds-perl libsnmp-session-perl
  libtime-hires-perl libtimedate-perl liburi-perl libwww-perl
  libxml-parser-perl mailman mysql-client perl perl-modules perl-suid
  php4  php4-mysql phpmyadmin psfontmgr python-bobodtml python-xmlrpc
  w3m-ssl imagemagick lesstif1 librrd0 ntp ntp-simple sqsh wenglish
  xlibs
  (so it doesn't have anything to do with the installed apache2
  backport or other system specific problems ...)

- It is a apt-get bug only, aptitude handles the same situation just
  fine. But both apt-get from woody and sarge bail out.

- I have really _no_ idea how apt-get finds a dependency between perl
  and libterm-readline-perl-perl. All I can see is a suggests and apt
  shouldn't care about that at all... Can someone more firm with apt's
  interna offer a way to find that out?

Gruesse,
--
Frank Lichtenheld <djpig@debian.org>