woody->sarge upgrade removes perl (and a bunch of other stuff)

I just looked at upgrading a server from woody to sarge and the result
was, well, interesting. The output from "apt-get -o
Debug::pkgProblemResolver=true dist-upgrade" starts off with:

Investigating perl
Package perl has broken dep on libterm-readline-perl-perl
  Considering libterm-readline-perl-perl 0 as a solution to perl 102
  Removing perl rather than change libterm-readline-perl-perl
Investigating perl-modules
Package perl-modules has broken dep on perl
  Considering perl 102 as a solution to perl-modules 55
  Removing perl-modules rather than change perl
Investigating apache-common
Package apache-common has broken dep on perl
  Considering perl 102 as a solution to apache-common 11
  Removing apache-common rather than change perl

so the machine would have lost both perl and apache. I have put the
full apt-get log on http://www.wiggy.net/tmp/upgrade, as well as a
copy of dpkg's status file at http://www.wiggy.net/tmp/status.bz2 .

Wichert.

--