Re: C++ ABI bump for etch

Hi Enrico,

On Mon, Apr 04, 2005 at 11:33:50AM +0200, Enrico Zini wrote:
> from the last Release update:

> > If you intend to make major changes (like a C++ ABI bump) during the
> > development of etch, please speak with the release team as soon as
> > possible, describing the changes you're planning and why.  This way, we
> > can help you to make your transitions as smooth as possible, ensuring
> > that packages go quickly into testing/etch, don't hold up other packages
> > or the release in general, and don't take us by surprise.  We would
> > appreciate it if you could send these emails before the end of April
> > to debian-release@lists.debian.org.

> I am working on a major change on libtagcoll and libdebtags API and ABI.

> However, I'm planning to change the package names (from libtagcoll-dev
> to libtagcoll1-dev and from libdebtags-dev to libdebtags1-dev) and to
> package -dev libraries only, since the API and ABIs will still be not
> stable enough to support shlibs.

"C++ ABI bump" referred to the fact that gcc-3.4 (4.0) includes a new C++
ABI on all architectures, and we'll therefore have to change the names of
all C++ library packages when we switch to using it (just as we switched to
c102 when adopting gcc-3.3 for sarge).  We didn't mean to suggest that you
needed to tell us about ABI changes for individual libraries written in C++.
:)

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer