Re: RM: xerces23 -- RoM; superseded by xerces25 or xerces26

On Thu, Mar 31, 2005 at 11:05:08AM -0500, Jay Berkenbilt wrote:
> Jeroen van Wolffelaar <jeroen@wolffelaar.nl> wrote:
>
> >> Please remove xerces23 and its associated binary packages
> >> (libxerces23, libxercesicu23, libxerces23-dev, libxerces23-doc).  I
> >> have uploaded a newer libxml-xerces-perl, so xerces23 no longer has
> >> any reverse dependencies and can be safely removed.  FWIW, xerces25
> >> and xerces26 will most likely both have to stick around for now.
> >
> > Hrmz, and what about xerces21, currently still in unstable and testing?
>
> There are two packages (gdal and qgis) that depend upon xerces21.
> Bugs have been filed against both (301710/301650 and 301709), and both
> maintainers have already responded.  (qgis depends upon gdal.  The
> qgis maintainer said he would upload as soon as gdal was uploaded.
> The gdal maintainer says he is preparing a new package with a few
> other fixes and will have it ready this week.)  As soon as those two
> packages are updated, a removal request will be filed for xerces21 as
> well.  This way, only xerces25 and xerces26 will be in unstable.  If,
> by some chance, xalan 1.9 is packaged and a new version of the
> XML::Xerces perl module that uses 2.6.0 comes out in time, then we
> could remove xerces25 as well, but Steve seems okay with having
> xerces25 and xerces26 both in sarge as long as there aren't any
> additional versions.

Right.

> I was planning on filing the removal request myself even though I'm
> not actually the xerces21 maintainer (since I am maintaining the newer
> versions)...

For unstable removal of non-QA packages, maintainer consent is required.
So please do get a statement then like "Yeah, once the reverse depends
are okay, I'm fine with removing it" from the maintainer :).

Of course, removal from testing can happen at the whim of the release
team, if they what, they can even turn up the heat by making the bugs
RC (if they do think shipping three xerces versions is out of the
question for sarge, I think it makes sense even).

--Jeroen

--
Jeroen van Wolffelaar
http://Jeroen.A-Eskwadraat.nl