Re: two gnucash bits

On Mon, Mar 21, 2005 at 08:28:01PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> writes:

> > > It seems to me that if a package is in NEW in order to fix a bug in
> > > testing (especially an important or higher severity bug), then we
> > > shouldn't freeze until the bug fix has propogated throught NEW
> > > processing.

> > Generally, yes.  I don't actually see anything in the gnucash bts page that
> > explains why this would be a bug of important or higher severity, even
> > though you filed the bug on gtkhtml at severity: important requesting the
> > new upstream version.

> It's been "important" since before I got the package, so the gtkhtml
> bug report was filed at the same severity because it was blocking an
> "important" bug.

> If you look at #190118, the original submitter marked it important,
> presumably because it prevents him from correctly printing invoices,
> leaving off his address and such.  If you are using gnucash for a
> business, I would count this as a major effect on usability.  At
> least, it's plausible, so I wasn't interested in trying to override
> the submitter's description of the severity.

> (In general, my approach is to leave submitter's severities alone
> unless I know they are wrong; whether something is a "major effect"
> depends on the user's particular situation and it's worth taking that
> into account.)

Ok, I agree that this bug warrants severity: important.  I just managed to
overlook it in the BTS because of the blasted sorting of forwarded bugs.

> > I'd be much more enthusiastic if something was in the works that would drop
> > gnucash's dependency on the ancient and decrepit gal package, which has
> > grown FTBFS several times over the past two years (and has another one right
> > now).

> There is: the gnome-2 gnucash.  Upstream maintenance of this sort on
> the gnome-1 branch doesn't do anything for the gnome-2 branch but
> delay it.

> I'd be happy to take over maintenance of gal if Takuo wants me to.
> There are lots of packages that depend on it at present; gnucash is
> hardly the only one, is it?

gnucash is the only significant one, AFAIK; the others are gpredict (a
satellite tracking system...?), yank (a PIM system, which we have plenty of
replacements for), python-gnome-1.2 (which is as expendable as the rest of
GNOME 1.2), and gtkhtml itself.

So if gnome-2 gnucash were available, I doubt anyone would bother keeping
gal in working order.  In the meantime, the latest gal RC bug has been
knocked off the list for sarge because it only applies when using the
unstable version of gettext.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer