Re: permission to upload tiff 3.7.2 to unstable

Hi Jay,

On Sat, Mar 19, 2005 at 03:24:29PM -0500, Jay Berkenbilt wrote:

> tiff-3.7.2 is a bug-fix release and contains no ABI changes from
> 3.7.1.  However, since we were requested to avoid unnecessary uploads
> of new upstream versions and since the tiff library has many reverse
> dependencies, I'm requesting permission from the release team to
> upload 3.7.2 even though we are pre-freeze.

> libtiff 3.7.2 is a bug-fix release from 3.7.1 and includes many
> important bug fixes, several of which are already present in the
> debian 3.7.1 packages, but some of which are not.  In fact, this
> version of libtiff has fixes for all the old bugs reported in the
> debian BTS, so the only patch required against 3.7.2 is updating the
> soname (as we have been doing since the tiff transition of last
> summer).

> I have carefully inspected the diffs between 3.7.1 and 3.7.2 and am
> quite sure that there are no ABI changes in this version.  The header
> file changes are very short and contain nothing that could break
> compatibility.  There are some new C++ interfaces, but they are
> isolated and in a separate library from libtiff4.  There are also
> declarations of some new color-related functions.

> Given this information, does the release team object to my uploading
> 3.7.2 into unstable so that it can be the version in sarge?  I don't
> think it's necessary to stage this in experimental since the changes
> are pretty small, but I'd of course do that if requested to do so.  If
> the release team tells me not to upload 3.7.2 to unstable before
> sarge, I'll put it in experimental.

No objections; upload away.

> (Please let me know if you think I should have just made a decision on
> this without consulting the release team.  I still prefer to err on
> the side of caution with the tiff packages.)

My answer wouldn't necessarily be the same for all maintainers who asked,
but given that you know what you're doing with libraries, and review the
changes thoroughly for ABI changes, feel free to consider this standing
permission to upload new versions of tiff if they don't bump shlibs.

Incidentally, you may be interested to check out
http://people.debian.org/~asuffield/icheck-0.1.tar.gz ...

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer