Re: gnupg: new dependencies are ridiculous for some archs

Hi Frans,

On Wed, Mar 16, 2005 at 11:10:34PM +0100, Frans Pop wrote:
> I'm posting this to release as I'd like release managers' opinion on this
> before filing an RC bug (especially after noting who the maintainer
> is ;-)

> I just noticed in an upgrade of my Hercules S/390 emulator that I run for
> D-I testing, that gnupg now depends on libusb. libusb in turns recommends
> hotplug.

> IMHO having a very general, prio standard package and basic command-line
> package like gnupg depend on a HW-specific library is broken because
> installing random libs like this is very undesirable for arches that
> don't even have that HW (in this case USB).

> Unless alternative packaging solutions are impossible, I feel this should
> be changed.
> At least this change is fairly invasive and should not make it into Sarge.
> As gnupg is frozen, it won't get in by itself, but...

Do either of these packages cause actual problems on s390?  I presume not,
since they have been built at all; in which case, I don't imagine this bug
should be RC.

But as you say, the package is also frozen, so it's not a big deal.  It
should be possible to fix this so gnupg doesn't depend on libusb on s390, in
any case; a non-RC bug requesting that seems appropriate.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer