advice for lilypond

I've agreed to take over lilypond, the excellent music typesetting
engine.

The current Debian version is based on upstream version 2.2.6, and my
adopting upload brought it into a releasable state.

Upstream would really like me to upload the latest stable version,
however, which is 2.4.5.  I am inclined to agree.  Shall I go ahead?

(I'm asking because of the request not to introduce new upstream
versions unnecessarily.)

Upstream maintains separate stable and development branches, so the
2.4.5 release has received plenty of testing, and is overall just so
much better than the 2.2 branch.  Also, lilypond is a "leaf" package
in the dependency graph, so it should cause minimal disruption.  Shall
I go ahead and start preparing a 2.6.5 upload?

Thomas