Re: Do not make gratuitous source uploads just to provoke the buildds!

On Sat, Mar 12, 2005 at 03:01:28PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> Goswin von Brederlow <brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de> writes:

> > Remember that the buildd queue is not FIFO at all. The queue has a
> > completly static order. Any changes to the queue are just packages
> > hiding because they are not "needs-build". I consider that the biggest
> > flaw of all in wanna-build.

> This is news to me.

> It means that when one is told "just wait, your package will get
> rebuilt"; it is not necessarily true at all.  There is no upper bound
> at all on time to wait for building, and that's a disaster.  People
> should stop repeating the fiction then that "just wait" means "your
> package will eventually get built".

Er, packages *do* eventually get built; they just don't get built in any
kind of FIFO order.  I don't particularly care for this arrangement myself
(it means there are plenty of times that a high-priority bug in a
low-priority package stays on the release team's watchlist for far too
long), but I don't have any proof that a different queue ordering would
actually work better for the project, and the buildd admins *are* committed
to keeping up with the queue even though hardware circumstances sometimes
prevent it from time to time.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer