Re: Urgent: Security fix for openswan 2.2.0

Am Donnerstag, 27. Januar 2005 16:49 schrieb Andreas Barth:
> We discussed a bit in the release team.
>
> Our first question is: Why don't you just fix the bug in unstable, and
> we push the package through to testing? If the unstable package is not
> suitable for sarge, than yes, please upload a package (with a
> minimal-as-possible diff) to testing-proposed-updates ASAP.
The unstable package is currently not suitable for testing, because of an
upstream bug (if it would not be for the bug, I would try to push that
release through to testing). Besides that, the build system for modules has
changed substantially from upstream 2.2.0 to 2.3.0 and thus 2.2.0 is tested a
lot better than 2.3.0. The diff to 2.2.0-4 from testing is very minimal -
it's one source file with two lines changed (the patch from iDEFENSE),
modified build-dependencies in debian/control, updated README.Debian and
updated debian/changelog. It should IMO not break anything that was not
broken before...

I am uploading right now.

> However, just speaking in general, it would make our tasks easier if
> packages are uploaded to unstable only when they're generally ready for
> sarge, and otherwise, uploaded to experimental.
Completely understandable - I always try to do that. In this special case, the
upstream bug was discovered only after the upload to unstable (by me and
independently by another user). I am thus waiting for upstream to come up
with a fix for that bug (2.3.0 can make other 2.2.0 and 2.3.0 peers crash)
before I can bring 2.3.0 in shape for testing.

best regards,
Rene