Fwd: Question about packages held from Sarge

---
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 12:07:25 -0500
From: Roberto Sanchez <roberto@familiasanchez.net>
To: debian-devel@lists.debian.org
Subject: Question about packages held from Sarge

I tracked Sid for a while on my workstations and recently (about 3 months ago) decided to go to Sarge since I would like my stations to track Sarge when it goes stable. There are some packages that have been held back from Sarge, like mozilla-mplayer[0] and java-package[1] because of dependency issues. Both of these packages affect packages which depend on packages which are not in Debian--mplayer and JDKs/JREs, repsectively. I recall seeing that work was being done to resolve these issues, especially since many java-related packages fall into this situation.
---

So, the answer to that question is that the maintainer talks to the release team about what the dependency is and they make sure the dependency is correct (that it can't be correctly fulfilled by a Debian package, and that the package can't be uploaded to Debian in good time); then someone on the release team tells ftpmaster what the appropriate stanzas for FauxPackages are. eg:

Package: j2re1.3
Version: 1.3.1.02b-2
Provides: java2-runtime

Do include architecture information where it's available.

See http://ftp-master.debian.org/testing/data/FauxPackages for the current FauxPackages.

Cheers,
aj