Re: Woody to Sarge upgrade and Debian menu.

On Tue, Jan 11, 2005 at 05:44:26PM +0100, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> Op di, 11-01-2005 te 17:39 +0100, schreef Richard Atterer:
> > On Tue, Jan 11, 2005 at 05:10:23PM +0100, Bill Allombert wrote:
> > > So what would you advise me to do ?
> >
> > Why don't you ship a dummy "update-menus" command? In the unpacked package,
> > the command could be a shell script which does nothing. The postinst could
> > then replace that script with the correct binary.
>
> Because that would break other packages.

Could you elaborate ? I don't think that would break anything.

> What I'm really wondering about, though, is why you need to ship it that
> way. I thought dpkg shipped packages in dependency order, if possible;
> doesn't it?

I am not sure I understand what you mean by 'dpkg shipped' but the issue
is that packages providing menu entries call update-menus in their
maintainer scripts but do not depend on menu, so the state of menu is
undefined at this stage (maintainer scripts can be executed at any
time).

Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>

Imagine a large red swirl here.