Re: Dual layer DVD

On Tue, Sep 07, 2004 at 04:11:49PM +0200, Joerg Friedrich wrote:
> Richard Atterer schrieb am Dienstag, 07. September 2004 um 15:58:55 +0200:
> > > Of course, another option is to go for dual-sided single-layer DVD (aka
> > > DVD-10), but that loses much of the convenience for the user. Comments?
> >
> > I think dual-sided DVDs are *very* unpopular, aren't they?
>
> AFAIK dual-sided single-layer is identical to two single-sided
> single-layer disks.

Smacked together back to back, with a few slight physical differences, but
yes. And they're certainly unpopular (as "flippers") for video DVDs. For
good reason. The reason *might* be less crucial with an install, but then
again, quite possibly not...

> Suse sells their distribution on dual-sided single-layer DVDs. Maybe
> this is cheaper than two DVDs or one dual-layer.

Or maybe it was just the simplest and cheapest for them.

> Since dual-layer writers and disks are expensive such images might only
> interessting for high volume distributors.

You're thinking in terms of actually writing disks; that technology is
relatively new (to the consumer market) and still quite expensive. What is
neither new nor (very) expensive is *pressing* dual-layer DVDs. It does
cost more than pressing double-sided single-layer ones, but not nearly so
drastically - thus the reason why "flippers" are almost unknown in current
video DVD releases. The number of people annoyed by it and not buying it is
enough to offset the minor savings of not doing a dual-layer press.

The simple answer would be to make sure that we have a reasonable selection
of two "disks" (for individual burns or dual-sided single-layered press
runs), and a way to make it easy for folks wanting to burn or press
single-sided dual-layer discs from those such that it requires no user
intervention to read the total (I don't know enough about the gritty
details of bridging filesystems across layers to know what this requires).
--
Joel Baker <fenton@debian.org>                                        ,''`.
Debian GNU/kNetBSD(i386) porter                                      : :' :