Re: Quality of nagios packages in Sarge

Hi,

> I want to raise some concern about the quality of the nagios-text
> package in testing. There are a number of bug reports (at least
> #239174, #257702, and #265467) that are fixed with the suggestion
> mentioned in #239174. I also see that Madarasz Gergely has made
> a suggestion about this bug in the changelog of #257702.

As the submitter of the mentioned suggestion: It does not really
fix #239174 (I'm CCing the bug to clarify), it just seemed that way
for a moment, when I submitted my mail. The initscripts works sometimes,
hence my mistake. However it really fixes state retention and the
extentended hostinfos.

IIRC the bug was introduced by nagios-mysql/-pgsql fixes, so my
suggestion needs testing by users of nagios-*sql.

> I just want to ask around on this list if there is absolutely no
> way around this ? None of those reported bugs are filed as
> grave, but maybe they should have been: eg. if state retention
> doesn't work, it is impossible to make any change to Nagios
> and even kill -HUP the main process (as is done via /etc/init.d/nagios
> reload) without Nagios losing all its state data. Surely this
> qualifies as a grave bug ?

I agree here.

> I've compiled my own nagios-text package with this suggested
> fix, and can confirm that it does indeed solve the problems
> reported.

Check again, it does not fix the initscript problem, but I think
there was an NMU fixing this issue and your patch looks like it
could fix it, too.

P.S.: I'd like to ITP nsc (Nagios Console Monitor) and would need a sponsor
using nagios-text for that as I'm not a Debian developer. If there's
someone who'd like to sponsor, please contact me. See http://www.goth.dk/nsc/

Bye,
Mike
--
Manche Leute haben einen Gesichtskreis vom Radius 0 und nennen den ihren
Standpunkt. -- D. Hilbert